re: printer problem

My printer file seems to have gotten corrupted. NEC SuperScript 860,
HPLJ-2-compatible, and I am using that (HPLJ-2) printer file, running Xydos
4.018 in a 660-mHz machine with 64 megs RAM and 20 gigs storage, and Windows
98 SE. I have two problems:

1. Can no longer print italics, though bold, underline, and superscript work
OK.

2. When printing more than a page or two (i usually collate such files by
printing in reverse), the last two pages (printed first), are overprinted,
nest-last on top of last. On intervening pages, perhaps two-thirds are OK but
the others are fouled as follows:

somewhere below 5 or 6 lines will come an omission of a word or phrase, and a
garble on the following line, like the following example:

and the rest of the page will print normally.
The garbles are frequently a repeated e, sometimes h or n or r.

The printer functions normally in Word and Wordpad and my Compuserve e-mail
program.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

All best,
Bruce