Re: XyWrite and Windows 7

Apologies for picking up this thread so late, but I just read
something that made me look back at all these posts, and I
realized that a couple of things were not totally clear.
1. Can Xy (or any 16-bit program) be run natively under Win7 (as
it definitely can under Vista)? Or do you have to run some
virtualization scheme?
2. Besides Virtual PC, there is something in W7 called XP Mode,
that is supposed to let one run older programs. But it is only
available in Business and Ultimate, not in Starter or Home
Premium. (This is what I have heard and read. I have a copy of W7
Release Candidate, but fear I shan't have time to install it
before it expires.)
About partitioning: you are all aware that Vista lets one do a
safe, nondestructive live partition? That is, assuming you have
enough room on the hard drive (this is best done first thing
after you clean out the shovel-ware on a new PC), you go to
Control Panel->System Management->Storage, right click on the C
drive (after the box comes up; I can send anyone who wants it a
screen shot), shrink the existing partition, and create a new one
in the empty space. Robert favors several partitions. I want at
least three, but have made do with two by running Xy and dBase
off an SD drive. You absolutely, positively want your data on
another partition from your opsys. Then, if you have to do a wipe
and restore of C: (as I recently did), your data are safe. Robert
manages to get his apps on a D: drive, but I don't have enough
knowledge to do that with Win-native apps: they want to go on
C:\Program Files, and get very cranky if you don't let them.
(Actually, Lotus Smart Suite will go wherever you want; but that
too is abandonware.)

--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx