RE: XPL error codes in Nota Bene (v8)

I'm finally going to give Nota Bene v. 7 a try: I've had too
many odd keyboard problems in XyDOS running under WinXP. Can anyone tell
me whether there's any particularly helpful information out there for
folks making this transition? In particular, I've never used XyWrite for
Windows, and I'm wondering whether it includes features (say, for
example, additional functions, or functions that behave differently than
under DOS) that were also adopted by Nota Bene. Nota Bene tells me that
XPL works in their program, but that they don't document or support it.
If so, would I do well to obtain the documentation for XyWin? Or is the
documentation for XyDOS (along with Herb Tyson's book) all I
need?

Thanks very much for any suggestions you can give me.
Alan

At 12/21/2005 Wednesday 08:21 AM, you wrote:

Reply to note from "Chuck Creesy"
Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:30:10 -0500

Chuck:

> allow me to rephrase the question: do the old error code
> numbers work with version eight? I'm guessing from the upgrades
> done to make XyWWWeb.U2 work with NB that this is not a big
> issue?

Not an issue at all.  If you list Xy4's error codes alongside
NBWin's, you'll see that NB's are a superset of Xy4's.  There are
many additional codes in NB, but the ones that overlap with Xy are
identical (cosmetic differences aside).

There's a U2 routine called ERR that will give you a handle on the
numeric error codes and their associated messages in any Xy-
environment (Xy4/XyWin/NBWin).  For example, ERR reports
the most recent error code (VA$ER) and message.  ERR 12
reports the error message associated with error code 12.
ERR search lists all error codes/messages that contain the
string "search".  And ERR /NV gives you the whole shebang
-- a listing of all the error codes and messages.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx