Re: eeeditor

don't know how I missed this, Patricia. as for rotating the screen, I know it can be
done in both the Xandros default installation and the custom Ubuntu kernels,
though I have not tried, & am a little hesitant to experiment because while compiz
can do some entertaining and astounding tricks -- the desktop cube, which
rotates virtual workspaces on the display, is the most famous one -- it's a beast to
configure, mostly because it presents so many options.

after spending a lot of this inclement January handcuffed to it, I'm comfortable
enough in Linux to be able to waste time tweaking, though I count being able to
have Xy always open on its own desktop, with Firefox and my Palm
calendar/taskbook just a spin away on the other desktop, as productive. Ubuntu is
clean, handsome, and well-supported by many knowledgeable and helpful people
-- which is necessary because it's almost impossible to remember all the zillions of
commands and configuration options.

as for Xy, over the weekend I'm going to see about getting it working on the gnome
clipboard. have filed a Dosemu bug report to see about getting Alt-Backspace to
work correctly -- near as I can tell, DE returns an incorrect value on the keypress
(0E00 as opposed to 0EF0) -- and losing Alt-Bk is like taking the eraser off the
back of my pencil. failing a resolution of that issue, I believe it's possible to roll
your own keyboard driver for DE, though it's a little mysterious.

-rafe

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:42:23 -0500, Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:

>J R FOX wrote:
>> Yes, but do you need to scroll around constantly, in the course of doing your
writing, because of the screen size ? I think that had been a primary objection, and
-- at least for me -- it would become a drag fairly quickly. The characters you
type need to have not only a requisite size and sharpness, but (in my opinion,
anyway) you also need to be able to track wide enough lines at any given time for it
to be appealing. Otherwise, it's fine just for memos. You know, I wouldn't want to
write anything bigger than a haiku on my Brother labelmaker . . . .