Re: R: adding tilde to kbd file

** Reply to note from xywrite@xxxxxxxx Sat, 29 May 1999 21:10:17 +0200

> holding down ctrl-alt-shift while typing 126 produces a printable hyphen,
> i.e. a 3-bytes xy sequence, not the discretionary hyphen. I did not
> discover any way to produce the ascii 126 in XyWrite other than: open the
> standard keyboard file, switch to expanded view, search for "41=" and look
> for the hyphen symbol, select it, copy it to the desired position. This is
> true for all the "special" xy characters.

If you have XYWWWEB.U2 installed, you can issue "putchar 126d,1", put your
cursor in text (e.g. in your KBD file), then hit your Helpkey. That will generate
a 1-byte tilde.

Otherwise you can change the value of VAriable DH to some character other than
tilde, and relaunch XyWrite. Now Ctrl-Alt-Shift will generate a one byte hyphen,
instead of a three byter. MoVe that character into your keyboard file, change
VAriable DH back to hyphen again, relaunch.

And there are about ten other ways of doing this...

Frankly, I've found that I _need_ my tilde, and I got tired of screwing around with
the various forms of it, so I just changed DH (Discretionary Hyphen) to a character
that I seldom use (Ascii-22). It looks more like a hyphen than a tilde does, but
mercifully it isn't a standard character that appears on keyboards. No more
problem.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx