From: James Woolley
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2018 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: Testing printing with vDosXy 500

Hi Jordan,

You mentioned the word "overflow." The DOS versions of Nota Bene, and
I assume also XyWrite, use an "overflow drive," to which part of an
open file can be written to disk if the available memory isn't large
enough to hold the whole file. If your setup specifies an overflow
drive that does not exist (that is, that vDos does not recognize),
your system *will* lock up. So it would be worth checking that your
overflow drive specifies a drive that your vDos actually has.

I'll tell you where the overflow drive is specified in Nota Bene, and
maybe you can figure out the XyW equivalents, or maybe one of our Xy3
veterans can give you better information.

In NB3 (a subset of Xy3), there is a default "DR" which is specified
in a file called "default.set"; there you would want to see a line
that says "DR=E:" if you wanted E: to be your overflow drive.

In NB4, the overflow drive is specified via the help system
(F1>Set>Other defaults>System/help>Overflow drive). Or you can insert
the line "DR=E:" manually in a file called nbcustom.set.

Good luck getting your printing to work!

James