Re: XY programs

Reply to note from Robert Holmgren  Wed, 11 Nov
1998 23:59:19 EST

-> Is there a sort of Debugger for XPL programming ? And a way to
-> localize the wrong line ? -- Andrea Chiozzi

-> Our program XRAY is superior in many ways to default DB; we
-> write the values of Save/Gets to a file at user-determined
-> checkpoints. Your program runs normally; it doesn't pause at
-> every action, it executes normally; but while it runs, XRAY
-> extracts from it a large amount of detailed information,
-> sufficient to pinpoint the cause of any problem. XRAY is part
-> of XYWWWEB.U2. -- Robert Holmgren

Beyond XRAY, XYWWWEB.U2 is chock full of routines that make it
easier to write, debug and optimize XPL code. To name but a few:
IFENDIF flags unbalanced IF and EndIf statements, SYNTAX checks code
for dozens of possible syntactical errors and for unbalanced
guillemets, HILITE and HILITELB provide visual aids for tracing
Save/Get and LaBel usage within a program, and ITERATE provides an
accurate measure of execution speed, allowing comparison of
alternate coding methods. RELABEL, primarily a tool for
rationalizing and optimizing code, will also flag LaBeling errors
such as duplicate LaBels and GoLabels without corresponding LaBels.

One thing about these tools: they are RELIABLE. We developed,
tested, rewrote, tweaked and polished them over a period of years
starting in the late eighties (much earlier in Robert's case).
We've torture-tested them for a decade; we think they're rock solid.
And we're eager to find out whether other XPLers find them useful as
well.

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/