XY Slowness

I've just solved a curious "slowness" problem in XY4 DOS
4.018 which I don't recall ever being discussed here (my
apologies if I've missed it).

After moving Xywrite to a new laptop and at the same time
from OS/2 to W2K (a sad event, but that's another story) I
noticed that Xywrite would slow down severely whenever a
dialog box was opened (Control+F to bring up the fonts menu,
for example), and thereafter would remain slow until a quit
and reload.

At first I thought it might be a memory issue, but the
problem did not occur on another W2K machine identically
configured in software (but with different hardware and a
different display.) With some testing, I found that
starting up without a settings.dfl file "cured" the problem,
and then by commenting out various portions of the file
managed to find the offending command.

Default CR (Cursor Type) has 4 values, the second "b" value
being the number of the display mode for the cursor when (1)
a dialog box is displayed, and (2) the first "a" value is 0.
I had "b" set to 112 for years. But some combination of
hardware and perhaps W2K was finding 112 a problem.
Changing it to 0 cleared up the slowness, and things are now
running fine. The full line is: DF CR=0,0,119,0

Tom Hawley
New York
tjh@xxxxxxxx