NB Scholar's Workstation

Scholar's Workstation and why it is worth $100 more than the Nota Bene word
processor:

Scholar's Workstation includes the word processor plus Orbis, Ibidem and
Ibid. Plus.

Orbis: This is a powerful search engine that can search thousands of files
(up to 1,000 files in each of 1,000 directories!) simultaneously for any
word, phrase or combination of words or phrases. You specify which files or
directories you want to search and the program will return every paragraph
that contains the target word, words or phrase. There are lots of options so
that you can retrieve and/or view the data in a wide variety of different
ways. This should be useful to any writer who likes to refer to notes,
letters, papers etc. that are stored on his/her computer. It is useful for
finding files if you forget their name or path or for finding things that you
forgot you wrote or saved. Think that you might have some notes on theater
in South Africa? Search for ?theater AND South Africa? and see what comes
up. Search results can be imported into an open document or just used for
reference. Mervyn Bennun, long-time NB user, had this to say about Orbis:
"NB+Orbis ... makes one think about the role of IT in creative writing, and
if one exploits it then one?s creativity and intellectual muscle are hugely
enhanced. ... I never enjoyed writing lectures so much as when I started
Orbising for ideas." See www.notabene.com/bennun.html for the full context
of Mr. Bennun's remarks.

Ibidem: This program is a bibliographic manager that will be invaluable to
those who use bibliographic citations in their work. It keeps your
bibliographic data at your fingertips and automatically inserts citations and
develops bibliographies -- all properly formatted. You choose from the
styles of hundreds of academic journals and/or style manuals. If you change
your mind, Ibidem will reformat your citations and bibliographies for you
according to a different style. Your footnotes or in-text citations and
bibliographies are all visible on screen as well as in print. Ibidem, like
most Nota Bene programs, is highly customizable.

Ibid. Plus: This program expands the capabilities of Ibidem so that it can
be used for non-bibliographic databases. We have included predefined fields
for address lists or field notes. You can adapt the program for any data
base -- inventories, class rosters, survey results -- whatever you want to
keep track of. Ibid. Plus uses Ibidem?s capabilities for sorting, searching,
creating and maintaining subsets and generating reports.

Those of you who use bibliographic references in your work may also be
interested in BookWhere. BookWhere is available for those who purchase Nota
Bene for an additional $85 (until November 30, then $99). It allows you to
use your Internet connection to download bibliographic data directly from
library data bases, and import it automatically into your Ibidem database.

Finally, Lingua is our program that provides multilingual word processing in
Greek, Hebrew and Cyrillic. It is not yet available, but we expect that it
will be released before the end of 1999. It will be available for an
additional $100 to any XyWrite user who purchases Scholar?s Workstation.

I hope that this is helpful. Thanks to all of you for your interest in Nota
Bene.

Anne
aputnam@xxxxxxxx
or anneputnam@xxxxxxxx