Re: how to get back deleted material?

[J. R. Fox:]
... but I fear most users
in this situation will have come upon that advice too late.
   True - but I gave my suggestion as soon as I could after reading
the original request.
   Even if some writing to the disk has taken place since the
mishap occurred, it may not have been on top of the lost data, and it
may not be too late. The more writing to the disk occurs, the higher
the chance of the data being overwritten - so even now there may still
be some use in preventing any further writing to the disk until the
problem has been attended to.
   The more empty the disk, the smaller the chance that the data
have been overwritten. If the disk is large, mostly empty, and only
moderate writing to it has taken place since the mishap, the chances
may be quite good that the lost data are still there. (Or should
"data" be treated as singular now? I've never been quite sure.)
I'm also wondering about the value of some of these Undelete
programs, like Recuva ?
   Does that work similarly to the disk-editing utility that used
to be in Norton Utilities? I am myself looking for something like that.
   I'll have a look for that one.

                  Regards,
                  Michael Edwards.