Re: Much easier way to do file comparison

Robert wrote
Here's an adaptation, fully commented, that implements your ideal of being able
to look at just one of the two documents and see the differences (without
having to toggle back and forth between two documents to make visual
comparisons) -- but this implementation really does display *all* the
differences -- not just the differences in *one document only*. Added edits in
Doc #1 are displayed (in Doc #1, which is the only doc you need to look at) in
*green*, differences with Doc #2 are displayed (also in Doc #1) in *red*.

Incredible. You've invented retrospective redlining!

I studied your XPL and got several ideas--thanks.
Now for the bad news. The result, unfortunately, for my two files is a mass of red and green text,--after a point where they get sort of out of sync--with only a little unaffected text. This seems to be due to setting MAtch sensitivity to one character. I tried setting MA=10 and it looked much better. But does that mean I'm missing something? I will try a variety of MA settings and SAve them under different names to have a check.
Your program is the solution for one-iteration comparisons. I hope it
didn't take you too long to write it.

Thank you,
Harry

Harry Binswanger