Re: XyWrite for Windows versus XP Pro/SP2

Ed --

You say you copied the program as installed and running on a '98 machine,
but then go on to talk about trouble installing copies of the floppies.
You can't install Xy on your XP machine from the floppies, however you copy
them.

What I think everyone else has done is simply copy the Xy files in the Xy4
directory to a suitable place on the hard drive, where Xy runs in the the
command prompt window. In principle, once you've copied the files, all you
have to do is go to the window, which you'll find hidden in the All
Programs list under "Accessories," switch to the Xywrite directory at the
prompt, and type "Editor." This should work just fine.

I've had no trouble at all getting Xywrite to run. Printing from it under
XP is another kettle of fish. To cope with that difficulty, I have a 98SE
partition on my machine running an HP 2100m. with Postscript. If I were
doing the partitioning again, I'd partition a machine for which 98 drivers
were written--nonetheless, what I've got works well enough.

I sympathize totally--I've got years of mss., scholarship, &c. in Xywrite
too.

Whatever you do, don't give up and switch to Winword 03. It's a nightmare
with a crazy habit of taking over, like a mad autopilot that takes you to
Beijing when you expected to go to Chicago.

Frank Brownlow