Re: Opera and Xywrite Revealed

Until Mr. Krok's reference to "XyWrite Revealed" in his recent posting, I was unaware of this book. I use XyWin 4.13, and would like to see an updated version, as suggested by Prof. Sivin. However, I would like to suggest that it be "published" as a CD-Rom, not as a paper-based book. In that way Mr. Krok or Mr.Tyson, might "publish" it directly, without needing to persuade a large publisher to do the work, to have a big price for it, and to keep all of the profits. We, the readers, on the other hand, would be able to utilize the examples of code provided, more easily, without having to "re-key" long strings of alpha-numerics.

Please keep us informed, as this project develops.

Richard Henderson
Still Picture Archivist
National Archives and Records Administration
College Park, MD 60740-6001
(301) 713-6625, Ext. 265

>>> Nathan Sivin  02/14/2000 9:42:28 AM >>>
I think as highly of Tyson's book as Morris Krok does, and
benefitted equally from it. But I don't see the point of
reprinting it in its present form. My guess is that most of the
hundred people who still use XY3 have read and taken notes on it.
Why not update the book? It would be extremely helpful to users
of XY4 and XyWin, which are sufficiently similar that one book
could cover both. But, to be frank, since these programs have no
future, it is extravagantly unlikely that any publisher would
take it on. On the other hand, revising it for the current
version of Nota Bene would mean a growing readership, and an
appendix on XyWrite would make it attractive to people like
myself who prefer the latter.

Cheers,
--
Nathan Sivin