Re: Off topic: type yoghs and superscript ordinals

I used to superscript all my French ordinals using md+su for years,
and one day, I just got tired of doing it, and no one has ever
complained.

The Spanish and portuguese also have those nice superscript "a" and
"o" characters for ordinals feminine and masculine, respectively. They
are part of the Speedo characters.

The French also still like to use lots of ligatures for things like ct
and st, especially the people at Gallimard who put out the Pléiade
editions. I rather like the look, but then, I work on early modern
literature.

Unicode 3.0 includes:

021C latin capital letter yogh
021D latin small letter yogh

so if you have Windows 2000 or above (Unicode enabled) and a Unicode
font (like the free Lucida Unicode Sans) you can use it.
http://vlado.fmf.uni-lj.si/seminar/fonts/lucida.htm

I've also got a free Unicode font called "Junicode," designed for
medievalists that has it and a lot of other useful characters with
ligatures and such:
http://www.engl.virginia.edu/OE/junicode/junicode.html

All these things depend on your fonts; if the Windows system has a
font and it all works, it should work in Word (assuming in this case
it's a Unicode-enabled version of Windows and Word).