Re[2]: Off topic: type (ME letter "Yogh")

We might be able to combine our work. My spreadsheet doesn't have all
the XyWrite Speedo characters in it yet (there are a lot of them, and
my wrists started to hurt when I was typing them all in).

But it does have the character numbers from Win-ANSI (a.k.a. code page
1252), IBM code page 850, ISO 8859-1 (Latin 1: West European), 8859-2
(Latin 2: East European), 8859-3 (Latin 3: South European), 8859-7
(Greek) and Unicode for most of the Latin characters with diacritics
and the Greek characters.

I could add in 8859-4 (north European) and 8859-5 (Cyrillic) if people
want, since they're part of the Speedo set too.

I will add in 8859-9 (Turkish) because I use that sometimes, although
really 8859-3 handles most of it. I should probably add the
Windows-Turkish and Windows-Baltic character sets as well.

I can't really deal with 8859-6 (Arabic) or 8859-8 (Hebrew) because I
don't know any Semitic languages and they doesn't really interact with
my Xy documents.

8859-15 is really useful because it includes the euro symbol, and is
starting to be used as a standard for Europeans who don't use Icelandic.

---

Here's a nice page on the "alphabet soup", btw:
http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html

He also has a nice page on the code pages 437 and 850, which are very
relevant for XyWrite:
http://czyborra.com/charsets/codepages.html

It also has information on the Windows code pages, which are relevant
for those of us working in XyWin.

--

I often write documents which include text in German and French, and
need to cite authors with names including Turkish and Czech

(Oddly enough, the font selector utility in NotaBene (at least the
demos I've downloaded so far) doesn't show the variants of those fonts
with the different character sets; don't ask
me why. )

Of course, that means my documents are littered with markup for font
changes and character set changes, and while they print out OK,
printing to PDF files and passing the documents on to other people
both create problems. You can see why I'm enthusiastic about Unicode
-- I could use it to write entire documents without switching code
pages / character sets, and a person on the other end can figure out
what character I meant to show up at a given spot.

Note: Sorry about the pseudo-word "hachek". The "ch" there really
represents a 'c' with a hacek over it.

---

You can express any character in these things as a combination of two
numbers: character set and position number. I don't know that there's a
standard set of numbers to represent all the common character sets.

The "superscript three" character, for instance, is

Win-ANSI: 179
IBM codepage 850: 252
Xy Speedo: 906
8859-1: 179
8859-2: missing
8859-3: 179
8859-4: missing
8859-5: missing
8859-6: missing
8859-7: 179
8859-8: 179
8859-15: 179
Unicode 3: 179

-------

Query: does anyone know why the Speedo set contains some duplicate
characters?