Re: New XPL Instruction Manual at XyWWWeb

On Jan 24, 2006, at 7:18 PM, Robert Holmgren wrote:

1:1 to op codes? I don't understand what you mean. Any one of
these functions
would involve quite a number of assembler instructions. The
functions may seem
low level and irreducible from the standpoint of a word processor,
but they're
not irreducible in assembler (quite a bit goes in to cursor left,
or cursor
right).
That's true, you're right. I guess i was just kind of thinking out loud.

As for porting, it *has* been ported -- to OS/2, to Windows.

Xywrite runs under the Dos Box of OS/2 right? I know that Xyquest
wrote Xywin, but did they actually write a new version of Xy for OS/2?

Anyway,
it's all pointless theorizing: it isn't open source, there isn't any
incentive, the only person who can port it is the author, assembler is x86,
hardly anybody uses the word processor -- so where does this all go?

You're right, it is all kind of What IF? I wish that whoever own the
source would Open Source it. (What was that guys name again? One of my promises if i win the lottery is to buy the source for Xywrite and get it back in circulation.) I know Robert, i should be more pragmatic. :)

Nowhere.
It would be unbelievably difficult to remove this from the DOS environment. None of the variables would work anymore. VPC is a whole lot easier. Works
really well, too, I'm told by friends.
It works well when it works!

Thanks!

Russ