Running a BBS

Bob.  I couldn't agree more.  It's as unreasonable for a BBS sysop to
be held liable for the notes his users post as it is for a utility
company to be responsible for posters people tack up to telephone
poles.  (Despite the fact that the poles are there to support a
different communication medium.)  And I wouldn't spend extra time or
lose any sleep, either, scrutinizing each and every note recorded to my
BBS message base.  I can't imagine charging the post office with the
responsibility to read every letter to make sure it meets a given
standard before delivering it.  (And I can't imagine a free society
condoning that sort of censorship!  Why do it on a BBS?  The best free
exchange platform to come along since the soap box!)