Xy on a Thinkpad (A23, I think)

I have never been able to get Xy 4.018 to work properly on this
laptop. (It belongs to a relative, and I only get a chance to wrestle
with this problem during infrequent visits there.) Some of this comes
down to display issues, or to possible Xy-under-W2K-on-a-laptop
issues, which have been adequately discussed here in the past. But
some of it also comes down to keyboard issues: enough of the scancodes
are just different from what the .KBD file expects them to be on a
desktop keyboard. I think I would need to map them all out on the TP,
and then make some necessary .KBD-file adjustments -- something I've
not really had time to do as yet. (Interestingly enough, Xy 3.5x
seems to suffer far less from most of these issues on the TP.)

Here's one minor example, and maybe someone can shed some light on
it. When 4.018 comes up, NUMLOCK will be lit, and is hard to
disengage. (Note that Numlock is set *not* to come up as the default
when W2K boots up. I can't even remember where you go to set that
default in W2K, but it is set that way; other app.s do not come up
with it on, and it is not active at the W2K desktop.) In order to
turn it off, I have to hit CTRL-NUMLOCK. No other numlock combination
will work, although 69=TN is present in every kbd table.

Some other keyboard problems are a lot worse. Without the array of
_working_ macros in that .KBD file, Xy is severely hampered, either
for me or for my relative.

Jordan