From: John Paines
To: "xywrite@xxxxxxxx"
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2015 8:19 PM
Subject: Re: Misc. Questions: vDosXy | NB

NB9 (and NB10, in my limited testing) opens xy3 documents without difficulty, though formatting code incompatibilities between the two programs may require updating some or all xywrite format commands in NB, which could make importing documents for the sole purpose of printing cumbersome.  In any case,  perhaps NB is defaulting to a small point size or is misreading a xywrite formatting command?  I haven't seen what you're describing in NB9 when opening xy3 documents.

The command

USE C: C:\

has a space between the colon and the 2nd "C".  You'll need another line for the "J" drive.

Though it *can* print, with limited functionality, to Laser Jet printers, DOSPRINTER can't make use HP LJ drivers and has a number of other limitations.  If you want to use HP LJ drivers and PCL6, try the following:

1) download pcl6.exe from Edward Mendelson's WP reference pages, put it in the vDos directory, load a xywrite HPLJ driver and print.  A pdf of your printer output will print to the screen, which can in turn be sent to any Windows printer, whether or not it's a HP LJ, and/or saved to disk; or

2) same as 1) above, but follow Edward Mendelson's additional instructions, available on the vDos discussion site, for printing directly to the printer, bypassing the need to generate a PDF on screen.

In both cases, the default font with will be HP's "Dark Courier".  You can also use any of the internal scalable PCL6 fonts, with "PT" codes or embedded "PI" codes.