Re: Switching in and out of fullscreen dosemu session? - more re wmctrl

Raphael Tennenbaum wrote:
that's of particular interest to me, Paul, because I'm sick of Alt-Tab. I'm confused about Keyboard Shortcuts and have never quite gotten them to work -- for instance, I've set up Thunderbird to be the default e-mail client; under Desktop in Keyboard Shortcuts I've got Shift-Ctrl-P for "Launch email client," and it will indeed launch Thunderbird if it isn't running -- however, if Thunderbird *is* running, that key combination is simply ignored. how do I define a keyboard shortcut to switch to an already running process?
If I understand things correctly, all "Launch etc" does is "start an instance of... " Thunderbird's a special case, because it will only run one instance of itself normally. Oddly, though, I just tried out my hotkey for Tbird, and it switched to it -- but I don't know if that's because I use one desktop, or because I've set my Tbird shortcut differently (my shortcut was added by me; I didn't modify the existing one (I didn't see the existing one).
If you install wmctrl, go to Keyboard shortcuts, then click the Add
button. Give your shortcut a name, "Switch to Thunderbird", then specify
the command "wmctrl -a Thunderbird", then OK it and find it under the
Custom Shortcuts section and assign a key combo.
You must be doing some or all of the above already, more or less, to
have altered the "Launch ..." keys.
There is one big issue -- a key shortcut conflict with another program
can disable your shortcut. I'm trying to troubleshoot one with Mod4+f
(Winkey+f)-- A big offender is Compiz; its manifold plugins have all
sorts of shortcuts and the more plugins you have enabled, the more
conflicts you may have.

Paul