Re: uniqcomp.pm - Working for others?

On Nov 15, 2005, at 3:28 AM, Robert Holmgren wrote:
I'm running on 98SE, Russ on an emulator in Mac. Russ,
emulation of what? DOS? Win9x? If 9x, that may well be
the monkey wrench in the works; we've been through this
before, though it seems improbable.

9x under Windows, improbable. Can't vouch for Apple though
-- simply don't know how Apple stores files, treats line
endings, etc. Let's test your hypothesis under Win95, using
your two "possessive/genitive" files... perfect result.
Testing two 357K files with numerous differences... perfect.
If you create a text file under the Mac OS the line endings are
either the CR or LF (can't remember which one exactly but i know it
is not both.) With that said, in my case, whenever i know that i am
going to take a file to VPC (which runs PC DOS 2000) i use either a
unix command to change the line endings for that file to DOS or open
the file in bbedit and have it save the file with DOS line endings.
A file that is just stored on your hard drive is stored in that
manner. AFAIK, it doesn't undergo any changes. Any files that are
contained in a ZIP file, I believe, remain intact and are unzipped
intact. ( I know this because i have taken numerous ZIP files that
contained DOS executables, unzipped them on my mac and then copied
those files over to my VPC hard drive disk image. Never any problems.)

I'm beginning to wonder whether this isn't somehow related
to something lacking in user setups? Can you Redline, for
example? That would be a basic requirement. RED ON/RED
OFF? Does Redlining work, are MoDes set by it? Redlining
does require that there be INSERT/DELETE entries in the PT=1
"MODE TABLE" in your PRiNter file, e.g.:
MD IN=(*+INSERT)
MD DN=(*+DELETE)
and also in the "ATTRIBUTE DEFINITIONS", e.g. (HPLJ-4.PRN):
AT:DELETE
AT#_??\
ET
;
AT:INSERT
AT??]
AT=2
ET
I am convinced that the problem in a function of some value amongst
all of us being slightly different. I say this because, for some,
they had no problems. For others, like myself, they experienced the
SAME behavior. My "programming-sense" tingles at something like this
and makes me think the problem is in that area.

I'm using the POST35.PRN and it has the settings you described.
I am also able to go into Redlining mode on these documents. (Interestingly, when i have the Redline mode turned on for both of my documents, and run UNIQOMP, it does something different. It appears to go to the point of difference and then, instead of putting an endless string of NMIN, it appears to stay in the same place kind of vibrating, endlessly until stopped.

If you have any updates, i would like to give those a try as well!

Thanks all,

Russ