Re: Installation Chronicles, Chapter 3.

Michael Norman wrote:

> Having tried repeatedly this weekend to install XyDos on a second machine
> in the house (W98 Gateway), install it in every possible configuration
> (Safe mode, DOS Mode, restart DOS mode, direct copy from a computer where
> XyDos works and so on and so on) and having failed to get it to APPEAR on
> the screen in any mode save when I change the properties to "run in DOS
> mode," which as most of you know is not the best way to run XyDos, and
> having followed Dorothy's kind suggestion to check the device drivers for
> the card on that machine (STB Vision 128) and found in fact it has the most
> up to date drivers, I am, here in chapter 3 of "The Installation
> Chronicles," without another idea.

Michael,

I have been away for 3 weeks, but did not notice any epilog to your Install
problems. If your original surmise was correct, and this is some (perhaps
proprietary) display issue, it is unlikely we will be able to help . . .
unless you can find a fellow Gateway + XyDos user (not just Gateway, but
probably a machine of the same vintage and hardware configuration) who has
successfully overcome this. Do you have any other DOS app.s on this machine,
and if so are they functioning normally ? I assume you are running W95 or
W98. NT should not be much different. By comparison, Win-2K reportedly offers
very limited compatibility for running DOS and older 16-bit Win programs. I
don't know what the situation is with Win ME.

It would be a different story with XyWin -- but, to the best of my knowledge --
a DOS program like this one puts _nothing_ in the Win Registry. Therefore, all
you need are the program files (already expanded, copied over from another
machine), placed in an appropriate directory structure, and perhaps a desktop
shortcut. There will doubtless be tweaks to Startup.Int, some other Xy-files,
and maybe the Autoexec.Bat and Config.Sys which hold some relevance for DOS
programs running under Win. Absent something strange and unusual going on with
the h/w and how it supports a running DOS program (or doesn't), XY *ought* to
work. On this last working trip, I had to get an old DOS database program
working on a newly re-installed W98 system. The memory settings (under
Properties) needed to get this app. working were arcane, to say the least, and
I never would have figured out the right combination on my own. Luckily, the
company was still in business, helpful, and did not charge us for this info !

I think there must be a fix for your problem, and I hope you find it.

Jordan