Re: Installation Chronicles, Chapter 3.

... save when I change the properties to "run in DOS mode," which as most of you know is not the best way to run XyDos,
Maybe this is the source of your problems. Are you talking about what's
under the Advanced button under the Program tab under Properties of the Xy
icon? If so, I have that set to "Suggest MS DOS mode as necessary."
Also, are you running with the window Maximized? You should be. Some people
have trouble running it with "normal" window.
Just to be sure we're on the same page here, you know that you do have to
run Xy4DOS in a DOS box, under Windows? That's not the same as exiting out
of Windows to have only DOS loaded in the machine. Is there any
misunderstanding about this?
I have read Leslie's recommendations in another post. They are good
suggestions. But here's something that's GOT to work (famous last words):
Get everything that Xy has put on the new machine off it (e.g., all
startup.ints and *.dfl and *.kbd files, etc.) Then copy only editor.exe to
the new machine. Copy it into either the root directory or a clean \xy
directory.
Now go to the Windows Start button, go to run, type in editor.exe (with the
required path, if any). That almost has to launch Xy--though it will be a
hampered Xy until you create appropriate for startup, keyboard, and default
files.

Regards,
Harry

Harry Binswanger