Re: Full-screen DOS on laptops (was: Memory problems with XyDOS (4) under Win98?)

I have a copy of UltraVision for Laptops on a 3.5" disk (took me a few days
to find it.)
I have not had occasion to use it for years and have not experimented with
it, but I have no reason to think it would not work as well as it always did.

If you will email me you mailing address, I will be happy to mail you a copy.

--Bob Kubie

At 12:48 AM 11/24/99 +0900, you wrote:
Robert Holmgren  wrote:

> "Somewhat" coarser? UGH-ly! Ugh ugh ugh. Use UltraVision for
> Laptops. Fills up 3/4 of the screen with *very fine* resolution.

This is straying quite far from Xy territory and any further exchange
should probably move to private mail, but here goes.

I see what you mean, but there's an added twist to this story, at
least on my Compaq Armada. When I first switch to full-screen DOS (by
hitting Fn-T), the screen font indeed is extremely coarse and ugly.
But when I then just once call up my antediluvian DOS-based file
manager (called QDISK), the screen switches to a much sharper, nicer
looking, very usable font. QDISK is just a text mode program and
doesn't come with any screen fonts of its own, but that's what
happens, and the screen stays that way also when I exit QDOS and
start up XyWrite. Some other DOS programs (though not XyWrite on its
own) also have the same effect. The effect even remains active for
other DOS sessions as well (until I turn off the computer).

As for UltraVision, I have the desktop version (it's one of my "can't
be without" programs), but when I started looking for the
full-fledged laptop version some years ago, the company (Personics)
had already gone out of business and I couldn't' locate a copy. I do
have a single-font "lite" version that comes with some Toshiba
laptops, but that isn't too great. If you can tell me where to lay my
hands on UltraVision for Laptops, I'd appreciate it.

Unrelated aside: I think it would be helpful, Robert, if you could
set up your mail reader to attribute quotes by name rather than just
the date of the message, especially when replying to notes that
appeared some time back (after all, a few days is a looooong time in
cyberspace--now there's a word we don't hear too often any more, do
we?).

Wolfgang Bechstein
wolfie@xxxxxxxx