Re: Another question

For Jim Besser

I thought XYDOS was pretty fast on my old 386 machine. The main difference on
a 486-66 is that it loads in less than 10 seconds instead of a minute. I still
keep PC-WRITE for e-mail files and for its fantastic ED.DIR, because it loads
INSTANTLY. On the other hand, on a really fast machine you can spend lots of
time waiting for Windows and several startup applications to load. In fact
when I use Word Perfect Win for Chinese input, it frequently takes 2 minutes to
quit and return me to the Windows Program Manager. That kind of bloat is what
keeps people wanting bigger and faster computers.

-- Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia PA 19104-3325