Re: Dosemu, Linux, XyWrite -- another clipboard kludge

Bob's is definitely the easier the way to go, and thanks for
the tip re Xmacro. I don't use XyWrite for my mail, but generally I'd be
interested in any suggestions you have. I'm still basically working in XP
and playing in Linux.

It turns out, however, that I've been trying to solve a problem that, in part, I don't have.

Try this (if you have dosemu -- it doesn't work in dosbox, at least not in the relatively unmodified dosbox setup I have):

Select text in a Linux program, such as a text editor or Firefox. (Just highlight it, no CTRL-C.)

Move to an open XyWrite file, and left-click on the place you want the text to be inserted if the cursor isn't at that position.

Click the middle mouse button, which probably is the wheel. If you lack any middle mouse button, clicking the left and right button together is supposed to work.

The text should be inserted.

Issues so far:

1. Accidentally hightlighting any text in the XyWrite window makes that text become the selection and will cause problems (see 3 below).

2. Text copied from Gedit into XyWrite when the file open in Gedit was originally created in Xywrite will be pasted with doubled carriage returns.

3. Text highlighted in the Dosemu-XyWrite window and copied into that window using this technique makes a mess of things (seemed to be the carriage returns, but I didn't check carefully).

4. Text copied from a Dosemu-XyWrite window to a Linux program using this method  resembles text marked and copied from a Windows dos box using Mark and Copy. So a kludge is needed for this.

Paul

Paul Lagasse
PO Box 144
Kemblesville, PA 19347
pglagasse@xxxxxxxx

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. -- The Borg
Cooperate with the inevitable. -- Dale Carnegie