Re: Dodging Windows "Quit" default in XyWin

Jane Van Tassel wrote:

> Some time ago, in order to avoid closing XyDOS unintentionally by hitting
> ALT+F4 when I didn't mean to, I wrote the following BAIL_OUT.PGM:
>   {BC}quit;*;
>   ≪PRWARNING: hit F9 ONLY if ready to quit -- otherwise hit ESC≫
> I then assigned RUN BAIL_OUT.PGM to ALT+F4 in place of the original
> 62=MW,S,K,Q4,XH,JM,(,E,x,i,t,).
>
> The point of this, obviously, is that {BC} and the instruction on the
> command line aren't followed by {XC}, so the program waits until I'm ready
> to execute it.
>
> I found, however, that I couldn't make this work in XyWin: Mr Gates had
> seized control of my keyboard so far as ALT+F4 was concerned.
>
> Has anyone found this a problem as I do, and found a solution?

Jane? Eric?

When I installed XyWin back in the long ago, the first thing I noticed was
that the altkeys were grabbed by Windows. I called Tech Group to see if they
had a fix and was told by them that these were Windows conventions, and they
couldn't override them.

"Nonsense!" I said to myself. "They just didn't want to."

I have been proven correct.

You can, of course, simply reassign that very clever routine of yours to
another key, but that would, of course, defeat the purpose, wouldn't it. Sigh.
I throw up my hands and say this to my friends Van Tassel:

Do yourself a favor. GET RID OF XYWIN. Exorcise it! Eliminate it from your
system! Take the install disks and throw them in the nearest body of water.
Then: install XyDos version 4x and go out and get Nota Bene for Windows and
install it. Nota Bene _will_ give you back your alt keys. Stop trying to make
it work like a rational program. It cannot be done. I quote again from the
opening monologue of Richard III:

   "Deformed, unfinish'd, sent before my time
   Into this breathing world, scarce half made up,"

AND NEVER FIXED!!!!!!

End of rant!

lb136@xxxxxxxx
New Address:
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)