Re: Strange files...

** Reply to message from Carl Distefano  on Sat, 07 Jan 2006
13:10:54 -0500

Quite right:
> the DELete
> confirmation query is only triggered by a request to delete all files
> in a directory (DEL *.*); a less-than-global wildcard spec doesn't
> elicit confirmation.

Truth to tell, I added KMD /C on-the-fly, as I wrote that msg, thinking that
there must be a DELCMD environment variable similar to DIRCMD or COPYCMD, which
might need to be overridden; but in fact there isn't such a beast (at least in
NT), i.e. no way (AFAIK) to permanently require the DOS DELete command to
solicit confirmation for each file *without* using the /P switch. And anyway,
if such a thing did exist, you would probably want to write "DEL /-P ..."
instead of "DEL /Q ...". However, "KMD /C DEL /Q" does no harm either.

It occurs to me that there is room for improvement here, so yesterday I revised
circa 1992 frame SEELDSGT to do the following:

1) Read all the Save/Gets loaded onto Ordinary Save/Gets 0-9 and A-Z. This
would include Save/Gets established by files like SAVEGET.SGT, as well as
Save/Gets established in STARTUP.INT, or with LDPM, or on-the-fly with func SV

2) Fully re-format all memory-hog @0-@9, @A-@Z Save/Gets (if exist) in a single
file, ready for direct inclusion/MErging into U2

3) Provide replacement KBD assignments for these Save/Gets

The syntax is:
 SEELDSGT [[d:\path\]SAVEGETFILE]

If you MErge the resulting file into U2 (then LOADHELP), and swap your
old KBD assignments for the new ones stated in this MErgefile (then SAve and
LDKBD KBDfile), you recapture all the memory that these Save/Gets sucked
from the system.

Refreshed version of XYWEB119.ZIP at XyWWWeb.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx