Re: LFN Utilities for Win32

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Wed, 18 Feb 2004
13:55:05 -0500

>> Just swap any new U2 for the old one (i.e. overwrite -- when XyWrite isn't
>> running).

> But what about user modifications/additions? Maybe there should be a
> logfile of user-changes, or some other automated method of keeping a
> downloaded update of U2 apprised of those user-changed bits it has to take
> from its predecessor.

Why? If you've _added_ your own frames -- a fine idea -- presumably you keep
them as a contiguous block (and for safety's sake, you also store them as a
separate file, which you can simply MErge into any new U2. But if you've
_altered_ our frames, i.e. customized/modified them, then -- well, I guess you
have to eyeball each new U2 version and see if anything has changed, then plug
in your modified frames one by one (actually, it would be more economical to
construct the modification you like, incorporate it into your "personal" block,
and simply ignore any further changes we make; plug your stuff in at the *top*
of U2, so that it preempts our frames if there's a duplication of framenames).
But I imagine you're probably talking about the former situation, i.e.
additions only. Whichever, it's still a really simple operation: CAll our new
U2, MErge your personal frames, SAve, LOADHELP. Done. 60 seconds? 30 seconds?

> Very cute, but the point is that I have to do more than overwrite the old
> U2. I've got to worry about my user modifications/additions to it.

It took you longer (much much longer) to write that message than it takes to
install a new U2, assuming you're organized per the above. Say it isn't so.
If you really feel the need to examine any changes to our frames, you can still
plug your canned stuff in at the top, and then inspect our stuff at your
leisure later.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx