RE: Why no Y branching in mail; Where is list?

On 08/17/97 at 11:38 AM,
  "N. Sivin"  said (in so many words):

<- That is a matter of how you have set up your comm program. I use
<- Eudora Lite 2.03 with WindowsFW 3.11. When I hit ctrl-r or the
<- corresponding "reply" button, my reply to your message to the list
<- goes to you, and the return address is mine. When I hit the "reply to
<- all" button, the "To:" line reads "Daniel Say ,
<- xywrite@xxxxxxxx". That gives you two copies. Eudora lets
<- me reduce that to one, but I just haven't changed the default. Eudora
<- does not have a key combination or a configuration option to let
<- ctrl-r reply to everyone.

Yes, and my wonderful OS/2 e-mail program also allows a reply-to-all
which I then edit down. That doesn't change the fact that the list is
set up incorrectly; the standard procedure is to make the FROM: field be
the poster and the REPLY-TO: field be the list. Moderately smart email
programs then use the reply-to: and smart ones offer a choice. There is
no good reason to leave the list set up in this awkward non-standard way.

--
                     Regards,
                     David

The cook was a good cook as cooks go; and as cooks go she went
              --Saki

David Auerbach              auerbach@xxxxxxxx (David Auerbach)
Department of Philosophy & Religion
NCSU