Re: Availability of XyWrite

Steve Hayes wrote:

> Does anyone know where I could get a good printer file (for the DOS version)
> for an HP Deskjet 610-C?
>
> I've been using a modified version of the printer file for the HP Deskjet
> 500, but the printer documentation is pretty scanty.

My guess is that this is probably going to be your best bet. My father is
looking at a similar situation, although with XY 3.55 and a Deskjet 840-C. He
had some encouraging initial results, testing one of the DJ-500 drivers (I think
there are a few of them, variations on a theme -- at least for XY 3+). Some
Fonts or Modes did not turn out as expected, but everything was readable. I
would expect that we are going to have to do some modifications to this Printer
File, but that it will serve as a good starting template. Whether you use XY-3
or XY-4, this is the general situation re contemporary inkjet printers, many
makes or models of which were not around when TTG was still writing printer
files for XY. The whole LexMark line being a prime example.

Even if one is willing and able to revise existing printer files, or write one
from scratch, decent printer documentation will be essential for reference. In
regard to HP, I can tell you that years ago they used to offer Tech. Reference
Manuals for many printers, which had to be purchased separately. (I have one
for my venerable LJ-II.) Perhaps they still do.

Jordan Fox