Re: Notabene: SV to ext drive with long file names

At 10:07 PM 3/16/2009, Carl wrote:
This is a nontrivial problem, given that the SAve command in NB
truncates long filenames (LFNs) to 8.3. You have to use the menus to save a file with a LFN. And if you try to shell to CMD.EXE with the DOS command -- no can do, either -- what you're getting is not
CMD.EXE but COMMAND.COM, which, of course, does not support LFNs.
Maybe there's an XPL workaround... however, as I'll unexpectedly be
offline and/or out-of-town for most of the next 8-10 days, I won't
be able to look into it for some time. Sorry.
Thanks for the explanation, Carl. For the time being, I'd rather use
short file names and the XPL program you wrote for double-save rather
than mouse back and forth to the save-as dialog to double-save to an
external HD. Anyway, thanks for thinking about this and have a good trip.
Michael Norman