Re: Problem with OED and NT (was Bemoan)

What exactly is the problem? If you're using v1.10, v1.13, or v1.14 of the OED
software, there is a very subtle issue having to do with an interaction with
Hewlett-Packard printer files. God knows why, but it's true.
AHHHHH!!!!!!! Robert, I believe that my current problem arose after I
installed some Lexmark printer files. I had also simultaneously installed
PCMacLan v 9, so I at first thought that was the problem. But now I think
it's the Lexmark printer files. Problem is, I lost my ability to rollback
to the point where OED was still working. I'm on the latest version of the
software -- I think it's v1.14. But it is confusing. If I do a property
lookup on OED.exe I find that it is verison 1.1.0.3.
The patch
Christine mentions is for v2 of the software. v1 is much better

Right. I have v1. And I don't want to change if possible.
Daemon Tools, which is great freeware).

Thanks for the tip on that.
Anyway, the H-P problem has to do with printer files *written and distributed*
by H-P. They cause the OED to load partially and then crash.
EXACTLY my problem, except that the files appear to be by Lexmark. I should
never have done the install. Yet, if I had not, I don't think I would have
access to printer features such as PS3, alternate trays, duplex, etc. --
but maybe the MS drivers do support all of that.
 If you use the
corresponding printer file written by Microsoft, you do NOT have this problem.
But - - - I'm afraid now that I will never be able to properly uninstall
the Lexmark files. However, assuming that I can do that, can we assume that
the program will finally work? (I also found that one or two of the XP
updates caused problems, but I was able to roll back in that case, and the
problem was later fixed, i.e. other updates did not cause the same problem.)
NOT a solution you will find anywhere on the Internet,
either -- believe me, I looked until my eyes popped out.

You see? I was right to ask here!!!!
I looked on Google, including all the newsgroups . . . nothing. It almost makes one wonder what sort of OED user base there is.
Anyway, I'll be very happy if I can some form of OED to work on this system
again.
Speaking of happiness, here's a probably futile question: is there any way
to get Lexis free for a week or so? I happen to need it desperately in some
torrential private litigation I am doing pro se, and I'm really in a bind.
The publisher of my photochem book, Reed-Elsevier, owns Lexis, but my
editor told me she didn't have high hopes of getting me an account. Well -
- just thought I'd ask. Westlaw has a free two-week trial, but it turns out
to be exceedingly limited.