Re: Problem with OED and NT (was Bemoan)

** Reply to message from Bill Troop  on Mon, 23 Dec 2002
11:32:00 -0500

> >Anyway, the H-P problem has to do with printer files *written and distributed*
> >by H-P. They cause the OED to load partially and then crash.
>
> EXACTLY my problem, except that the files appear to be by Lexmark.

Then maybe the printing subsystem of the OS has a conflict with the OED. OED
tries to identify a printer when it launches. and -- unable to do so because of
something in Win32 [OED is an old 16 bit Win v3.x program] -- OED crashes.

>> If you use the
>>corresponding printer file written by Microsoft, you do NOT have this
>>problem.

> But - - - I'm afraid now that I will never be able to properly uninstall
> the Lexmark files.

Why is that? Go into the Printers object, and just delete the printer. Start
over from scratch, and this time let Microsoft identify the printer and install
the appropriate M$ driver. Microsoft wants first-time installation of XP to go
smoothly, which means minimally that peripherals like printers are
auto-installed. So surely XP can recognize and install your Lexmark, and all
of its features, without requiring some special Lexmark-provided CD. That's
what I would try anyway...

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx