Re: Xy on XP

Robert Holmgren wrote:
I avoid it (and a plethora of other ugly stuff) by not using XP!
Et moi aussi. Jamais.
No, DOS windows are not all 640x480. In fact, they're never 640x480. That
would be something like an 8x18 font, but the math doesn't work out vertically.
I'm going to set this up in a spreadsheet template to see just how that works.
 I can't remember whether 9x gives you the raster sizes;
If you mean the, e.g., TT 12 x 20 (my current selection), in the type box at the upper left corner of the window frame, yes.
NT certainly does. Since you're in a DOS window anyway, just use the handy SET
/A command to do command line math, e.g. "SET /A 28*25" returns 700. (I
don't think COMMAND.COM's SET accepts an /A parameter -- but KMD.EXE certainly
does, so you could say "KMD /C SET /A 12*80", which returns 960.
Well, I'll be...Yes, Command.com doesn't but kmd.exe does. Who knew? (Besides you and--maybe--BBBG)

I see no reason to be scared of the black screen. Turn on the lights first.
Well, I had to laugh at that, but I am NOT afraid of the dark. But a suddenly black screen can mean a system that is toast. And THAT is scary.

Patricia M. Godfrey
psicamg@xxxxxxxx