Re: Copyright symbol in III+

** Reply to note from XyWrite Mail List on Sat, 10 Feb 2001 19:27:17
-0500 (EST)

Presumably this user already has their fonts installed, ;SF; file
written, etc.

In III+, it depends entirely on whether the soft font (or cartridge
or built-in printer font) includes the copyright symbol or not. And
user can generate the symbol in many PostScript Type 1 fonts, of
course. To figure out what characters a particular font is capable of
printing and what Ascii code they are assigned to, user should simply
print a document that contains a list of every character, in 1-byte
(except Ascii-26) and 3-byte forms, and in both 437 and 850 Code
Pages. The more obscure characters, like copyright, tend to start
showing up anywhere the typographer fits it in (if they fit it in);
the Code Page has bearing too. Or maybe I'm talking about myself -- I
handmade all my softfonts, and tended to dump copyright on Ascii-19,
probably because everything else was taken (but possibly because 19
was used for copyright, I just don't recall). If user downloads
CTRLCHAR.TXT at XyWWWeb (http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/#3+NB) and
SEArches for "TABLES", user will find, first, a table of all 3-byte
codes, then later (SEarch for {{6charsets}}) a table of 1-byte codes.
Print them out to paper using various fonts.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx