Re: Update on keyboard problem with Xy3 under OS/2

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 05:59:32 +0000, Carl Distefano wrote:

>What's more, the practice of renaming the shifted keys isn't new.
>People have been doing it successfully for years. As far as XyWrite
>is concerned, you can name keys after your kids, your pets or your
>patron saint; whatever the name, it's a perfectly "legal" operation.
>Certainly no one on this list has ever reported seeing the kind of
>fireworks you describe as a result of doing it.

Actually I have. Just to be clear, I have had shifted-key problems to
a greater or lesser degree since OS/2 2.0, but they are of two almost
opposite types: one is "sticking," where upon returning to XyWrite a
(Ctrl or Alt) key is in a shifted state (it's, if I'm not mistaken, a
problem common to W95 fullscreen XyWrite as well) the other is getting
the session to recognize shifted keys -- call it the "un-sticking"
problem, which seems to occur spontaneously, mid-session as it were.
Both these have been reported in OS/2 newsgroups, and the second does
seem to have been introduced by later fixpacks.

I guess the second is the one we're talking about, but it's been my
experience that while renaming the key sets lessened the severity in
fullscreen XyWrite (where adding NI to assignments also helped this and
one or two other problems), in *windowed* XyWrite it worsened things
considerably -- "spectacularly" about describes it -- and also
introduced the first "sticking" problem, which I'd never experienced in
any windowed sessions hitherto.

So I've kept the renamed kbd file in fullscreen and ditched it in
windowed. Ymmv, as they say.

-Rafe T.

raphaelt@xxxxxxxx
http://www.ray-field.com