Re: NB as Xy

For any others who are converting NB to Xy.
I followed Robert's suggestion, and changed the .KBD tables. Here's what I did, which works so far (except that if you forget and hit ALT without a SHIFT key or a CTRL key, it is intercepted by NB and can cause some irritations).
1. Recommended practice, from decades ago and still applicable, I believe,
is to rename your TABLES (and DEFINITIONS) from ALT, CTRL, and CAPS, to
something else. I use ALTX, CTRLX, and KAPS.
2. In my DEFINITIONS stanza, I separated out LeftShift from RightShift.
Here's what I have:

;    DEFINITIONS
keys=104
CTRLX=29,99
ALTX=56,98
META=104
LSHIFT=42
RSHIFT=54
KAPS=58,T:C
;
FYI, "META" is the keypad's ENTER key, which I use for an additional Shifting key.

3. I changed TABLE=ALTX to be: TABLE=ALTX+RSHIFT

4. I changed the old TABLE=ALTX+SHIFT to be: TABLE=ALTX+LSHIFT

5. I changed the old TABLE=SHIFT to be: TABLE=LSHIFT
6. Since you want both LSHIFT and RSHIFT to do the same thing, I copied the contents of TABLE=LSHIFT and baptized the copy: TABLE=RSHIFT.

It works. Thanks Robert.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx