Re: A Critique of Word & Co.

Joseph Fisher wrote:

> Still, you probably want some form of virus protection against the
> potential of old virus attached to files. Some years ago I loaded a
> floppy disk on a Pentium pc - this was years after I had changed
> systems from the 286 that was the floppy disk's machine of origin - all
> the disks from that machine contained a boot sector virus which had
> infected the old 286 machine while in I was in graduate school.
> Fortunately McAfee Antivirus caught it and neutralized the virus
> anytime used any of that machines old disks.

Ah yes, same thing happened here. Some author sent in a disk ("author
zero"?) that was infected with the "Anti-Exe" virus just when the computers
were being upgraded to Pentiums. It went round and round and round. You'd
think you'd nailed every instance of it, but no . . .

For two years we would still be getting THIS MACHINE IS INFECTED BY
ANTI-EXE VIRUS messages from Norton, which would of course proceed to clear
it up upon request.

I wonder where the dweeb who wrote that one is now?

lb136@xxxxxxxx
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)