Re: A Critique of Word & Co.

Hello all,
I am brand new to the list - also new to the XyWrite world but I am a long time pc & mac user.
I am using Mozilla (latest build) on all my current systems; 1) WinXP
desktop 2) Win 98 SE OmniBook 800 (166 MHz) , 3) Apple PowerBook G4.
Mozilla is a wonderful browser. I've been using it for a year. I would
never go back to IE.
Also, I just checked the Windows 98 upgrade site and they were still
doing critical/security updates as late as March 2002 - There are more
listed after that dated, one so I would guess perhaps till the
beginning of this year they were still doing updates.
Jordan, I think you are right. the hackers move on to the latest
version of Windows where the masses have flocked. They don't seem to
want to dwell with the minority types using older Windows versions or
Macintosh users. Like the terrorist they are, they want the biggest
audience and coverage for their actions. Would CNN really care to
report a virus making a stir on Windows 95 computers. I wonder since
Redmond is hyping Win XP as a break from previous Windows platforms
maybe Wiin98 and prior are actually safer?
Still, you probably want some form of virus protection against the
potential of old virus attached to files. Some years ago I loaded a
floppy disk on a Pentium pc - this was years after I had changed
systems from the 286 that was the floppy disk's machine of origin - all
the disks from that machine contained a boot sector virus which had
infected the old 286 machine while in I was in graduate school.
Fortunately McAfee Antivirus caught it and neutralized the virus
anytime used any of that machines old disks.

Joe Fisher
Retro computing fan