Re: DOS app icons Under Vista (A Fix?)

--- Paul Lagasse  wrote:

> but if you are just interested in seeing what
> it's like (vs
> checking out how XyWrite works in it), I'd suggest
> burning a CD and
> running it "live" (off the CD, without installing).

> have found that all
> of them (that I've tried -- Ubuntu, Suse, and
> others) are, on a
> multiple OS setup, as self-assured and ill-behaved
> as Murkoceph
> Windows in assuming that you installed it to be your
> primary OS. At
> first reboot, *if Linux installs grub* (the most
> common bootloader
> program these days), your first and default OS
> selection will be the
> Linux distribution that you are "trying out." If you
> don't care for
> this sort of rearrangement of yr life, you have to
> be prepared to
> find and edit (as superuser or root) grub's menu.
> And worst of all,
> when I automatically upgraded Ubuntu, my tweaked
> grub menu was
> trashed, and with 10 partitions on one drive and 3
> on the other,
> about a third of which I boot or might boot, that
> was fun to
> reconstruct. So now I keep a copy of the menu list
> on a thumbdrive.

I've very briefly test-driven a couple of the "Live"
self-contained Linux CDs -- Knoppix, and e-Live. You
are right that they are not too well-behaved, in terms
of keeping hands-off of whatever may be the normal
state of your hard drive. (And Yes, potentially much
worse, when it happens to be a multi-OS one.) So I
learned the hard way that if I'm going to run one of
these, I open the case and pull the power plug of the
boot drive first. These things are self-contained,
and so the hard drive is not required. Of course, you
must be set up for booting from the optical drive, and
this may be more inconvenience than some care to
entertain, even briefly. And if you want to try to
run Xy from here, you will need to do so from a
floppy, or possibly a thumbdrive, if the Linux CD can
accommodate that.

 Jordan