Re: DOS app icons Under Vista (A Fix?)

At 05:47 PM 11/14/2007, Patricia wrote:
Many thanks. Now if I can just get the time to install Linux and play with it.

I don't know what sort of experience you have with Linux (and am new to this list), so forgive me or yell at me if this repeats what you know, but if you are just interested in seeing what it's like (vs checking out how XyWrite works in it), I'd suggest burning a CD and running it "live" (off the CD, without installing). I have played with a number of Live versions, and the biggest issues I have found are problems in recognizing yr monitor, yr wireless networking setup, and yr printer. (I'm no Linux expert.) None is perfect, and I think you are probably better off being wired than wireless when testing out Linux (without knowing anything about yr computer hardware).

If you decide to install a Linux distribution, I have found that all of them (that I've tried -- Ubuntu, Suse, and others) are, on a multiple OS setup, as self-assured and ill-behaved as Murkoceph Windows in assuming that you installed it to be your primary OS. At first reboot, *if Linux installs grub* (the most common bootloader program these days), your first and default OS selection will be the Linux distribution that you are "trying out." If you don't care for this sort of rearrangement of yr life, you have to be prepared to find and edit (as superuser or root) grub's menu. And worst of all, when I automatically upgraded Ubuntu, my tweaked grub menu was trashed, and with 10 partitions on one drive and 3 on the other, about a third of which I boot or might boot, that was fun to reconstruct. So now I keep a copy of the menu list on a thumbdrive.

A couple years ago, I tried Xy4 on Ubuntu and Suse, using both Dosbox and Dosemu, and had issues with both. Dosbox was too slow to convince me to move from WinXP to Linux for my work, which is Xy4 and XPL dependent. Dosemu didn't like what I was trying to do with my keyboard file, and without it I might as well work in Word or Notepad or OpenOffice etc, or with just one hand. But some recent posts make me think it's worth trying out Dosemu or Dosbox again.

Paul

Paul Lagasse
PO Box 144
Kemblesville, PA 19347
pglagasse@xxxxxxxx

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. -- The Borg
Cooperate with the inevitable. -- Dale Carnegie