Off topic... (problem)

 On my new computer (OS Windows XP), I almost always get a
 "data error (cyclical redundance check)" when I try to copy
 a file from my floppy drive to my hard drive, ...even if
 my formatted floppy is new, and has only one file on it.
 I've looked up the meaning of "data error..." on the net,
 and I discover that it can be caused by a number of problems,
 but most notably by bad media (which hardly is the case in
 in my instance, since the floppies are all new, and my old
 computer [Windows 95] has not problem reading and writing
 to them), faulty drive controller circuitry, and bad RAM.

 I've noticed that if I re-format one of the new floppies on
 my new machine (and here there is no exception), the disk
 becomes unreadable, while it very much is readable by my old
 W95 machine.

 Is there a way to test for what may be causing the problem?

 M.W. Poirier