Re: Xy III+, XyWin, and Win95 -Reply

Harmon Seaver wrote:

> Or you might find it more effecient to switch to an OS that fully
> supports both win3.1 and dos apps instead, since MS has chosen to
> abandon the dos/win3.1 world with w95.

Blooming nonsense. Win95 supports both DOS applications and Win 3.1
applications just fine. I use XyWrite 4 for DOS (4.016 to be exact) in a
DOS box under Win95 for about 8 hours every day, six (sometimes seven)
days a week, and it runs without a hitch. All keyboard combinations
(including Alt-) work perfectly, and I can have other things
such as lengthy communication sessions (both DOS or Windows-based) going
on at the same time. DOS support under Win95 is even good enough for most
games (always a touchstone), something that most certainly isn't true for
OS/2 (this probably doesn't matter to most of the exalted programmers on
this list, but to a household with kids, it's a consideration). As for Win
3.1 applications, they most certainly run under Win95, including XyWrite
for Windows. There are some idiosyncrasies (such as not being able to
restore XyWin to full screen by left-clicking the icon on the task bar;
you have to right-click it and select Maximize) but similar problems have
been reported to occur under OS/2 as well and most likely are due to XyWin
anomalities rather than any Win95 non-support of 3.1 programs.

Believe me, I don't want to reignite any OS war, but I sure wish Mr Seaver
would restrict his comments to areas where he knows what he is talking
about.

Wolfgang Bechstein
wolfie@xxxxxxxx