Long strings in CI ///

I need to be able to use strings longer than fit on the command line for
doing a Change Invisible. E.g.,
BX ci /the first string may be short/but this string will certainly, in my
case be very, very long--longer than is allowed by XyWrite/Q2
As far as I can tell longer-than command line strings crash the system. The
only way I know around it is to break it up into a series of CI's using a
separator. E.g.,

BX ci /the first string may be short/but this string%%/Q2
BX ci /%%/ will certainly, in my case, be%%/Q2
BX ci /%%/ very, very long--longer than is%%Q2
BX ci /%%/ allowed by Write/Q2

Is there a better way?

Thanks.

Harry Binswanger