RE: A radical idea: a new XyWrite

Phil,

Hi! Are you the Savior I've been looking for? :)

By all means, see if steps can be taken. The state of ownership of XyWrite code is unclear. It appears to be abandonware. But the previous owners, The Technology Group, are lawyers, so proceed with caution.

What is DOS Macro 11?

Do you think a porting would be easier than just writing a new editor in C++ or Python? I mean, isn't writing a text editor an assignment given in computer science classes?

Another question, if you'll be so kind. The fallback position is just to break the 64k memory barrier (then use vDOSPlus). Am I right that it would be fairly simple to plug into the existing code a swap of pages in and out of memory to accomplish this?

Regards,
Harry

Hello!

My name is Phil White. For a time I was a programmer at Atex. Presently, I am a retired Windows developer and database architect. I also supported XyWrite and Atex for a while when I had a consulting business in Florida.

If I could get the basic source for the XyWrite OS/ Editor program in native DOS/Macro 11, I may be useful in porting it into Windows, which would give it potential modern connection to all of the devices and resources that the modern Windows process has to offer.

In addition, I have (potential) access to IT graduates from a local university, (in Houston,) from which I retired several years back. I also have current licensed Windows Visual Studio with access to a public domain cross-platform development. In short the cross-platform utilities facilitates simultaneous dev for several popular platforms at once.

Perhaps my input and expertise may be helpful in getting this effort off the ground.

My retirement has (joyfully, and finally) given me a very wide selection of things to do but Id be interested in moving the old XyWrite functionality into the present and hopefull cement it into the future.

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Phil White

Sent from Mail for Windows 10