Re: EOF zapper

Reply to note from Harry Binswanger  Mon, 22 Sep 97 06:22:27 +0000

-> Noting Carl's valid objection, I have created version 2:

Not really an objection, Harry, just an observation about
differences between the two approaches. Nevertheless, preserving
3-byte characters is a good idea.

-> KILL1A-2 allows you to replace, should you so desire, the 1A's
-> with any string up to 80 bytes long.

I like that! Much more useful than Xy4's silly "1", which is
indistinguishable from any pre-existing 1's in the file.

-> ... I can't imagine why one would run this [EOF zapper] on XPL
-> files, or on any files to be kept in native xy format....

Probably something only us nitpickers would think of doing, eh?
One use might be to inspect the index appended at EOF to a LOADed
Help file. There's no way to do that in Xy3. (In fact, there's no
*safe* way, in Xy3, of viewing even the pre-EOF contents of a LOADed
Help file. SAving the file -- an operation that's automatic for
most of us -- will cause large chunks of it to be vaporized.)

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/