Re: Is Xy 4 now freeware?/my advice abandonware

Before Bill Gates ruined it all, XyWrite was my newspaper's software (in the '80s and '90s), and we'd have paid any price for it. "Any," meaning something in line with Photoshop, the Adobe products back then, etc.

In the late '80s and into the '90s XyWrite was the standard in the newspaper industry, used by literally every major newspaper, including the NYT and WSJ. I think some company modified it into "c-text".

I did extensive xpl programming that saved me (managing editor) probably 10 or more hours of tedium a week (that no other program could do). So since I made the decision, it would have been worth upwards of $ 10K.

Jay