RE: Mysterious problem

>In the middle of scrolling through a file, I'll
>hit a point that suddenly shoots me a few
>pages ahead. Once it starts, it's always
>the same point of departure and the same
>destination.

This may not help, but I have a couple ideas on why this might be
happening. They may or may not be related to your situation:

1. If a file is large (say, over 200K), Xy creates a swap file on disk
because it can't hold the entire thing in memory. When I'm scrolling at
or near the a cutoff point in what's onscreen vs. what's in the swap
file, I sometimes see the scrolling "jump" because there's a delay while
Xy goes out and gets data from the swap file. But that's if I'm holding
down the arrow key or PgDn key--it's repeating several times before the
screen has time to update, thus the perceived jump.

2. One thing I've noticed a few times over the years is that if I have a
file (or disk) that has been corrupted or damaged, there will sometimes
be a "loop" in the data--that is, the file will at some point start
repeating data from earlier in the file.

3. If, as you say, the jumping occurs at the same place in the
file--even, yea, the same word (or even character--you might try looking
at the data in a binhex editor to see if there is in fact something
buried there that Xy doesn't show.

FWIW . . .

Timothy Olson
Marketing Services Technical Coordinator
Tyndale House Publishers
(630) 668-8310
(630) 668-8311(FAX)
Timothy_Olson@xxxxxxxx