Re: XY and Memory Weirdness

≪	I'd be inclined to say you should have at least 400k Available
Memory when XyIII+ starts (sans any document files) and still be fully
functional. ≫ 	--Bob Brody

≪	When Xy is started bare-bones style (accomplished by temporarily
renaming STARTUP.INT), "func me" reports 430 k free. [...] So just where
is all the memory going to? ≫ 	--Stephen A. Carter

Apparently gone before you load xyWrite. Midsession, under DR DOS 6
(only TSRs loaded are system stuff and ANSI.SYS), if I close all windows
but one and ME 0, I have 476k. These files are loaded:
	Spelling & user dict		 5
	Help				 1
	Printing			 1
As I write this, xyWrite has added under Program:
	Math & programming	 5
	Spelling & user dict	12
	Help			 6
So with a small file open my working available memory is 439k.

I'm not suggesting that this is exemplary; it's just for comparison.
I'm no memory wizard, but I do thing that I know will conserve it.
I load a PostScript driver to preview and print, but the drivers
my startup.int loads are a CONFIG.PR3 that annotation makes bigger
than it ought to be and a 500-byte MAIL.PR3 stripped of commentary.
I never took ALACARTE out of the box. The killer--relatively--is
the dicts. My USER.SP3 is just 2905 bytes, no hyphenation dict ever.

My startup.int also loads 911 bytes of ldpms and 752 bytes of >99 s/gs:
505 bytes of the latter support 311 bytes of ldpms that are part
of the system I use for precise launch CMline/state capture and
restoration, which is crucial to my installation. The other 600 bytes
of ldpms and 247 of >99 s/gs are an optional backspace/del cache.
These are the only ldpms I ever load, and the only >99 s/gs I ever use.

I understand the rationale for Help xpl and appreciate Robert and Carl's
ground-breaking work, but the 1k of memory my 6078-byte ALITTLE.HL3
occupies is why my xpl is in orderly freestanding files that rely
on two stand-alone runtime libraries (while, for, getch, etc. procs).
ALITTLE.HL3 is the ascii char frames (gone from xyW 4), color chart,
a default.kbd Fkey diagram (so I'll know what folks are talking about
when they refer to keys rather than functions), and two xpl Help frames.
One loads the rest of the launch CMline/state capture/restoration
s/g library, the other would call other xpl frames if I used them
(one multifunction ldpm can pass the CMline arg to this frame).

My biggest self-indulgence is a fat .KB3: 11,700 bytes without commas,
and that could change at any moment--a work in progress for a decade
that at times has nudged 15,000.

And ... Bob: Wow! What a bunch of useful info and advice. Thanks. 	--a